Feb 13, 2006

Have a heart


Yes my dears that is my valentine to all of you. It's a rather funny holiday isn't it? It was totally made up by money hungry companies, but women being the emotional creatures we are eat it up. We are exchanging cards tomorrow, but are gifts will be here this weekend. What did we get each other? Not jewelry or handcuffs. We got trees. I got a white cherry, my husband an asian pear, and my son a fuji apple. I couldn't think of a greater gift then something I can eat until I die. No, it really is what I wanted. Just like last year for our anniversary I asked for and got tons of plants and bulbs for my garden. Weird I know, but its also great because every time I go outside and see my beautiful yard I am reminded of the two men I love the most.

When we bought this house the yard, like everything else was in horrible shape. After we got the plumbing to stop leaking and the plugs to stop spitting sparks at us I got the grand idea to plant a few flowers. It started out modestly enough with a few dahlias and some sunflower seeds. My husband officially knew I had a problem when he came home from work at 2 am and I was sitting outside with my seeds and dirt still going at it. In the last few years we have established a vegetable garden, planted some trees, and made some nice flower borders. But last summer I took on a bigger task and tore down the ugly ass shed that took up half of our yard. No our yard isn't small, its just that shed was in a horrible spot and half the size of our house. Now that it is gone we have visions of flowers and a flagstone deck area with a big brick bbq and oven. Why all this trouble? Its easy, we spend more time outside than we do in. But besides that I think it keeps me calm on the days that bills are due, things overflow, and kids staining my carpet.

So for us the trees are great and I can already picture myself teaching my grandkids how to pick the cherries at the point right before they get to sweet and start to fall off the tree. Or picture my nieces and nephews running around throwing apples at each other. Sure I love chocolate, but I can have that any day. Happy valentines day everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL happy valentines to you too. My husband is the romantic in our house...I was a bit annoyed about having to do the whole romantic dinner thing because it meant I was missing out on the second episode of The Biggest Loser.

Trees are a great gift idea.

Your post makes me want to grow flowers and weed garden beds! I normally hate gardening.

My pc is about to be switched off for up to a month while I move interstate. All the best for the next few weeks or more and looking forward to catching up on all your gossip in March

Erin said...

I think you gifts are wonderful lifetime gifts. You will have many years of memories and it sounds like you already have some planned!

Chatty said...

He gave me a bag of peanut butter Hershey's kisses and a great card. He also surprised me on his way to a business trip (spent the day at work and then had to leave for the overnight) by calling me to let me know he was in the garage so as not to scare me. He just wanted a hug and a kiss for the road. Awwwww.

Jennifer said...

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you for that beautiful Valentine! *LOL* I think it's so romantic that you bought each other trees. Flowers are nice, but they die, and who wants to think about what that means about your love?