Nov 13, 2008

Holiday dreaming


I'm not sure what has me in the mood but I am doing some serious holiday dreaming. Maybe its the turkey in the crockpot....maybe its the cold weather, or maybe I'm just excited for B's first christmas. (By the way if you want to try making dinner in the crockpot check out this lady for some fantastic recipes.) We have asked everyone to keep gifts modest this year not only because he's so small and needs so little, but we are teaching our oldest the value of money. We will buy each a big item they really want, but would like the rest to be more conservtive. And lets face it, 6 month olds really like wrapping paper more than toys.
When we dug ourselves out of debt we made a promise to ourselves not to do it again, which isn't always easy. Mr fatty has been DYING for a new tv for a long time. It would be so easy to put one on credit, but we hold off and put money aside for it. I know we are teaching our oldest a valuable lesson about money, but sometimes being responsilbe sucks. The only money we owe right now is on the house, and we are determined to have it off our back within a few years too. I know, its a crazy idea but with no car payment and no credit card/loan debt I feel it is reasonable. Interest is my enemy. But really why I went into this entire subject is that christmas is totally different for us now. It used to be all about the gifts. Now its about the home made cinamon rolls and hot cocoa, a mid day movie in our pj's, playing boardgames and going to visit family. Yes the presents are fun, but so is the rest of it. Its amazing how family became the focus once money left the picture. So my question to all of you is what are you looking forward to this year? What are your most valued traditions?


2 comments:

Erin said...

I am most looking forward to spending time with my kids and with my parents. My Dad has been sick this year and I am hoping he'll return to good health in 2009 but in the meantime I am treasuring the time we have this year. Also I am looking forward to some time off from work, holiday parties, and a nice bottle of wine. Hey it's the little things, right?

Delenn said...

Traditions are very important for us, especially since we live 800 miles away from immediate family. (My brother just recently moved up here, so it is a bit different now..but)

Anyways, we are athiests but we come from two religious backgrounds--my husband is Jewish and I was raised Roman Catholic. So, we have the tree, we have the menorah. The first night of Hannukah we make potato latkes and play dreidal games. I give Michael a present the first and eighth day of Hannukah. We hand out X-mas presents on X-Mas eve (after going to a Japanese steak house) and X-Mas day--is my birthday, so we have cake along with the pies!

We go the movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas day (a "Jewish" tradition), we put up the decorations the weekend after T-Day.

These are just some of the traditions we hold dear that make this time of year special.

I can't wait to share them with Willow...