Sep 12, 2005

Of mice and tilt-a-hurls


Wow that weekend wore me out. Yesterday was my sons sixth birthday. We went to Chuck E. Cheese and just let them go wild. For a group of 6 year olds its like this magical place where there is endless pizza and games and lights. I imagine its the equivalent to a good acid trip when your in your teens. It is still a strange thought to me that a day I celebrate so much has got to be so difficult for the families of 9/11. As I looked at my son yesterday I was thinking about all the kids that were left without parents. It is an almost impossible for me to imagine the kind of pain these families have gone thru. I know the day will come when I have to explain to my son that a very horrible thing happened on his birthday once. I don't lie to him so he knows that sometimes bad things happen to good people. But I don't know if I can explain to him how people can be so evil and hateful. I know he isn't ready yet, but the day will come. I plan on being honest and telling him what really happened. I try not to sugar coat things for him because I think that things are best just put out there so that you can feel your emotions and then you can try to understand. I still cannot see 9/11 footage on the news without crying.

Back to the birthday. So after a long 5 hours at Chuck E. Cheese I went and dropped the pictures off for one hour developing. Not a single picture turned out. They were all ruined. Thank god other people took pictures too. But still I really wanted that shot of him blowing out his candles. I will always remember it, but I wanted to display it too.

On saturday we went to my husbands company picnic. It was soooooooooo much fun! And not just because it was free. Mmmmmmm free. My son and hubby rode the rollercoaster, one of those horrible spinning thingies, played bouncy castle basketball and just about anything else they could get on. I however am a fan of those giant slides. You know the ones that are like three stories high and all bumpy. We must have raced down it a million times. But the real fun came when it started to rain. When it gets wet you go twice as fast. Of course you have to waterlog your rump but its so worth it. So it starts raining and we climb up with out burlap sacks. There are three rows and we all choose our spots. We climb into our sacks and as I say ready....set....hey everyone went on set. I notice on the first part of the slide that we seem to be going a little faster, as I hit the second bump I could start to feel some g forces. The third bump I caught air. Yes all 195 lbs of me lifted about three feet off the ground. When my butt finally decided to return to earth I couldn't stop so I slid right off the slide and mat and into the mud. It was the best thing ever. We rode it about 20 times. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh family bonding.

No comments: