Dec 12, 2005

Circle time

When I think back over the years I have been a very lucky woman. Right now I think I have all I can ask for. A healthy family, a home, money in the bank, and a great marriage. But lets rewind all of this back a few years. When I had my son I was alone. No help from his dad, I was completely on my own. So I did what I thought was best and went out and got a job. A horrible job working on dirty metal parts that weighed more than I did. Wearing heat proof gloves and a face mask had never been in my future plans but here I was. I was okay kind of. We had an apartment, food, and some basic things. But then there was my saving grace. There was a family who didn't know us well at all who came in and gave me the best gift there was. Hope. They brought my son a gift because well I was struggeling. Never asked anything in return, just wished me a merry christmas. I have never seen them again, but today as I was unloading all the gifts we bought for boys and girls club I couldn't help but think of them and their smiles. I just want them to know that every year when I pick a tag off a tree or take part in some kind of gift giving I always think of them and how their moment of kindness has taught me a lifelong lesson. It made such a difference in my life and I hope that my family can make a difference in someone elses too.

Okay sentimental time over. Hahahaha. Thank you for the kind words and emails from everyone the other day. Its just that my ovaries can be such asses sometimes I have to let a little bit of it out. Last night I dreamed I had a house full of children. Yeah. But the thing is I know it will happen somehow. Wether they come flying out my crotch, or we adopt I know there will be more dirty diapers and crayon scribblings on the wall. Just it still sucks. I have never been one to have a lot of patience so when I am faced with another month of waiting and wondering it gets a little overwhelming. So what did I do? Well the first night my son took me out for french fries and we talked about all the latest kindegarten gossip. The next night my husband decided we needed to get out.

First we went to get my sons haircut. And I figured why we were there why the hell not and plopped down in the chair after he was done. 40 minutes and 6 some odd inches later I emerged feeling fantastic. I don't think my hair has ever been this short in my life but I really do love it. Now my husband says he can finally see my face. The funny thing is that we ran into a friend of ours and she didn't recognize me at all! She thought he was out with another woman and came up to confront him. I guess thats what losing 60lbs and a great haircut can do for a girl.

After that and finishing up our christmas shopping we decided to go out for dinner. Mmmmm spagetti. So we order a big plate of spagetti and all shared it, taking our time and actually enjoying being out. I decided to have a drink since theres only a few days a month I really can. Well its pretty obvious I don't drink much when one bicardi and diet coke and part of a mango margaritta makes me want to run around in 20 degree weather in my underpants. Since I was wearing my period panties I decided against it and just giggled. I felt good and very lucky as I watched my husband and son sing to me from across the table. I love them both very much. But I would still like them to learn how to pick up their damn socks.

2 comments:

Chatty said...

Sharing a plate of spaghetti...I was envisioning a Disney movie....

Glad you got a haircut and took time for yourself.

Erin said...

What you are doing is paying it forward and if more people did that I think this country would truly benefit.