Jun 21, 2007

Oh almighty *one fantastic child mentioned*

We decided to go to themovies tonight and let out a little bit of this pre-vacation stress. Evan almighty is definetly worth the ticket price. Even if you aren't of the god type religions (like us) you will enjoy it. We laughed and snacked and had a good time. On the car ride home things got a bit interesting. My son is seven. I'm completley aware of what a miracle he is even on the days I feel can't get him to clean up his room. So this was our conversation tonight.

son: Mom do you thinks its gross when two women kiss each other
me: No, do you?
son: not really I just think all girls are gross
me: why do you ask
son: my friend has two moms
me: shes very lucky isn't she?
son: how do gay moms have a baby
me: (insert huge sigh here) well there are many ways to have kids. Sometimes it comes easily and others have to work a bit harder. Families come around in different ways but it doesn't make one any better than the other. Gay mommies and daddies can either adopt a child, foster children like auntie chery does, or they can get some help so one of the mommies can carry the baby or maybe a friend of boy couple could help them.
son: are you going to adopt?
me: no honey not right now
son: is someone going to help you have a baby
me: yes honey we are having a hard time, but we have to be patient. Its like working hard for your bike money. It took a lot of time and hard work before you had enough to buy your bike right?
son: yeah, but my bike doesn't poop. hey can we get a cheeseburger?

So we came home and watched mother earths flower shop which you can see here Stirrup Queens movie page. Its the one at the bottom, but they are all worth watching. Go ahead, go watch it, I will wait. He LOVED it.

I know he's just hyperaware of everything at this age. He is still adjusting to the fact that mommy and daddy aren't "normal" in some peoples eyes. I think the fact that we are a mixed family (I'm american and my husband is from SE asia) really helps him understand and accept differences in people and families. As he gets older I'm sure he will ask more questions and we will have that conversation about how mommy was blessed to have him before I met daddy and how daddy opened his heart and adopted him. I will tell him as the time comes, but I know his heart will accept this. I will never tell him his biological father wanted him aborted,and then wanted nothing to do with him when I decided to go against his plans. He never needs to know that someone thought he could be tossed out. All he needs to know is that our family was created in love, even if it wasn't in the "normal way".

8 comments:

ultimatejourney said...

What a heartwarming story!

It made me laugh that your son could just go from a really heavy topic to talking about cheeseburgers at the drop of a hat.

Christy said...

Wow, what a great conversation!

Natalie said...

This made me teary - I really luv that mother hope movie too. And the fact that he loved it, that's so very cool.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

This story gave me chills! What a great conversation. Hell--if I could feel the love through your words, I'm sure that you son who is physically with you can feel the love 10-fold.

Joy said...

God.. kids are amazing. I couldn't help but laugh at "all girls are gross."

KarenO said...

I think you handled that conversation excellently! Gave me a good chuckle :) Thanks for sharing this with us!

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

That's a sweet story, and great post. Kids are so honest and funny, and I think you gave him a great answer. Good work!

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

oh, kids they're so great. i love that they are just naturally open-minded.